Tuesday, March 10, 2009

oh the pain, the pain



I'm so darn tired it's not even funny. Trying to rush a 2,500 word essay in the space of one night is sheer madness, even when you have the research done, journal articles downloaded and books borrowed. I'm down to 500 words now and I've pretty much run out of things to say. I could try to fit a conclusion in now but I'm not sure the rest of my essay is going to cut it.

But really now, what kind of biology essay question is "How does the brain work?" How's anyone supposed to interpret that? Do you mean Cognitively? Biologically? Do you mean in infants, adults, animals, dinosaurs, plants? WHAT.

It's like asking a maths student for a 2,500 word essay titled "Define 0". It just can't be done. You might as well be asking me "How does the Large Hadron Collider work?" it might be simpler to explain.

Sheesh.

Also, whoever said anything about doing all your research first, reading everything before deciding how to synthesize your content down onto your essay... well it's crap. It might work for 1,000 word essays, maybe, but the sheer volume of research you need for 2,500 word ones entails drafting, typing out bits of your essay as you do your research. Try it the first way and everything gets too mushed up in your head for you to throw out a proper framework.

Never again, ugh.

2 comments:

  1. Lol. I feel for you man. But i'm pretty sure if its for a bio essay, it means how the brain works biologically?

    How many days did you have to churn this monster out?!

    -xue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent about 3 odd days doing research but I still couldn't really digest and synthesize most of it quickly... had to use 2 days to get it done. Urghs. Ah well it's over.

    ReplyDelete