Monday, March 9, 2009

my so-called love for literature

I have a pretension for particular subjects which 95% of my other friends find off-putting. That's why I'm hopelessly struggling in Renaissance Literature now, which I stupidly picked as a replacement to my Film Studies class, which clashed.

How on earth I managed to get it into my head that a comprehensive study in the poofy, 14th-17th Centuries of Literature where the Epic was still the poem type of choice and people wore frills and talked like bad Shakespearean theatre would be a good replacement for a module where you sat around watching movies and commented on them... I have no idea. *cry

Of course, a side of me is secretly crying out in protest as I type the above, the long-buried, floozy part of me with that insatiably intrinsic appetite for wordplay and prosaic verse. The part which could derive joy out of looking at words and words and more words and how they blend together to form magical mysterious melodies in my head, and unicorns. The crazy side, that is.

Yet seriously, when it comes down to it, I'm really bad at reading. I haven't read real fiction in like, years. I didn't even finish Harry Potter (dropped it after the 4th book). I didn't pick up Twilight (I was too busy retching). Oh and Tolstoy's War and Peace and Orwell's 1984 and Bronte's Wuthering Heights and Mary-Shelley's Frankenstein and Flaubert's Madame Bovary and Nabakov's Lolita and Twain's Huckleberry Finn and Fitzgerald's Great Gatsby and Conrad's Heart of Darkness and Chaucer's Canterbury Tales and Dickens' Great Expectations and Joyce's Ulysses and Melville's Moby Dick and too many others.

I'm such a phillistine.

Seemingly my entire literary repertoire consists of Discworld novels, Warhammer 40k fluff, Neil Gaiman short stories and graphic novels, and Douglas Adams (who is a literary god, incidentally). Hardly what one would call pompous stuff.

To this, I blame my 10 second attention span. Yes, it's got to be that, and not the fact that plenty of the classics are so long and drawn-out as to be insufferably boring.

(GASP, please don't stone me)

Still, I think I probably would read Austen someday. One of her books caught my eye recently. I don't know why, really, it might be the fact that that lady has NO FUCKING JAW:


Yes, it's Real. Check it out here. Awesome.

I need to be a better lit student. Blahs.

No comments:

Post a Comment