Tuesday, March 3, 2009

that incident

I think by now most of you would have heard about the NTU stabbing and suicide incident. For those that haven't, the channelnewsasia link is right over here and the Straits Times here. Plenty of other people have also posted their thoughts regarding the incident, as well as a particular blogger who had some additional insight here.

It was quite a wtf-moment for me when a friend of mine msned me to tell me about it. It's midterms time over here in NUS, I think it was crunch-time over there too. Since we'll never know what really went on in his mind when he stabbed the professor and after that, committed suicide, I'm not going to give a lengthly soliloquy about educational stress levels in Singapore, about how life is precious and we should never think about taking our lives so easily. I'm not going to put the blame on the economy, the government, our educational system, World of Warcraft, antisocial values in our varsity population, discrimination towards foreign students amongst the local students, pressures and conformity issues in living in a hostel. And I'm certainly not going to make a depressed and emomomo post about the wails and whines of an average student in an average life, and about how true bravery (ick) is never about taking out your grievances upon other people and by hurting yourself.

Instead, I will post a funny picture.


THIS is true bravery.

My condolences to David's family.
And may Professor Chan recover soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment